Civic and Community Affairs
Through a multitude of forums from the media to the courtroom, effective advocacy makes a difference in the outcome. Civic and Community Affairs reaches out to our community through safety-oriented and civic efforts.
- Michele Young’s innovative “I Just Don’t do it” campaign reaches thousands of homes daily through partner TV stations 12, 64, and CW. Viewers can pledge on the web at I just don’t do it.org. The campaign is now on buses and soon billboards.
- Michele Young was one of two dozen city and county leaders chosen to step into the boots of local firefighters and experience close-up the danger and difficulties of fighting fires in Keep Hamilton County Safe” provided support to the Coroner’s successful to keep the world-class crime lab local, locally led and up to date.
- The co-counseling of the Gabriel Teye case will hopefully lead to a change in the way bullying is treated in schools. The firm is honored to be part of a team led by acclaimed civil rights lawyers.
- The law firm’s support of Michele Young‘s research and writing on the Affordable Care Act for the American Bar Association will impact the lives of the most vulnerable in society: the ill, the injured and the destitute. In Ms. Young’s new book for the American Bar Association, Medical Malpractice: Avoiding, Adjudicating, and Litigating in the Challenging New Climate, Ms. Young and co-author James O’Reilly provide a comprehensive guide to the changes transforming the medical field and the legal consequences, including:
- The explosive expansion of retail chain store clinics and “telemedicine” (the provision of remote medical advice via technology)
- The rise of non-physicians offering diagnoses traditionally in the realm of physicians
- The impact of the multiplication of government subsidized health clinics and free clinics.
“This work was a labor of love,” said Ms. Young. “My hope is nothing less than to provide the necessary tools to all the stakeholders in our health system in a time of peril to avoid risk. This is a book that will save lives, and provide the legal and factual foundation for policy makers evaluating the law.”
Civic and Community Affairs will continue to use the many tools of advocacy to keep the community safe whether in the courtroom or the press room. It is a unique department reflective of the spirit of a law firm dedicated to all the people.