When To Hire An Accident Lawyer
If this is the first time you have been injured in an auto accident, you may be wondering if you need an attorney — and if you do, when you should hire one. The answer will depend on the circumstances.
Do I Need An Attorney? If you sustained vehicle damage only, you may not need an attorney’s help. However, if you suffered an injury, it’s important to see a doctor immediately and seek a lawyer’s advice.
At the law office of Gregory S. Young Co., LPA, we offer a free attorney consultation to evaluate your case and explain your options. We offer this consultation with no obligation to hire us. Please call 513-838-4562 in Cincinnati, 888-469-6437 in Dayton or Kentucky to talk to a lawyer. For your convenience, we have satellite offices in Dayton, Columbus and Toledo for client meetings.
Injuries Can Get Worse Over Time — See A Doctor
Not all injuries are obvious or manifest themselves immediately after an accident. For example, if you suffered a back injury or concussion, there may be no visible sign of injury. Symptoms may not appear until several days after the injury. The risk in not seeking immediate medical help is twofold:
- Your injury may get worse rather than better.
- The insurance company may not believe your injury was accident-related.
If our lawyers handle your personal injury claim, we will assist you with your property damage claim at no charge.
When Should I Hire An Attorney?
Some people attempt to negotiate their own injury claim and only turn to an attorney if those attempts are unsuccessful. There are several risks to this approach.
- Without a lawyer’s help, key evidence you need to prove liability may go missing.
- The insurance company of the at-fault driver may attempt to shift blame to you.
- If you provide the insurance company a recorded statement without legal advice, you may inadvertently say things that will damage your case. Even innocent statements can be twisted around to mean something you never intended.
- If you fail to follow up on medical treatment, the insurance company may claim that you are no longer injured.
- You may miss the statute of limitations and be barred from filing a claim.
To avoid mistakes that can damage your case, contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Since our law firm charges on a contingency fee basis, there is no reason to put off hiring a lawyer until later. We only collect attorney fees if we are successful in obtaining compensation for you.